Sunday 7 November 2010

123456SWITCH

CrazygoingslowlyamI...

Hello Jellos!

My posts on this blog have been pretty sparse lately, but that is because I am sooo busy getting some projects done for the Guild Sale at the end of November. There aren't enough hours in my day to finish all the things I want to have available for sale. I'm really looking forward to the event and I keep joking around with my hubby that I am going to make my fortune. :P

Okay without further ado I give you....PICTURES!

Progress on the rug hooking front has been pretty slow. Between the Sale and Christmas presents this has really hit the back burner. But the elevator portion is complete and it looks pretty awesome !


And I finally brought my floor loom out and set it up! Yay! First time on it. It needed a little TLC, but I managed to find the hardware it was missing, and get some new twine on the aprons. I have very little in the way of "nice" fibre in my stash. It's mostly dishcloth and crochet cotton and acrylic/unidentified synthetic blends. I wove up this warp I had dyed back in my college days. The warp is dishcloth cotton, and the weft is a slime green acrylic fauxhair. I tie dyed the warp in an over-dye, so it looks sort of like Ikat painted warp!


And a couple inkle bracelets. I'll hopefully have at least 20 of these bad boys ready for the sale in all different colours. I'm contemplating adding button/crochet flower accents on some of the plainer ones.


AND here are the projects I'm REALLLLY excited about!


These chokers were made on the inkle loom (I can fit about 4 per threading or 3 chokers & 2 bracelets). I wove picots in for a length at the front of the necklace, and then used the loops to pick up and crochet a little lace trim. From the trim I attached these medallions I've been working on. They are crocheted around thin bangle bracelets. I suspended little motifs kind of like snowflakes or suspended buttons with crochet chains and un-worked cotton in a spiderweb/dream catcher effect.

I'm so thrilled! I love that these materialized pretty much exactly how I envisioned them! I've had to do very little troubleshooting. Each one is totally unique and intuitive. No pattern for making the same choker twice, though I have incorporated aspects from various free online patterns for crochet motifs and borders.

Button web:


Sage flower with snowflake:


Yellow flower medallion with lacy leaf accents:



Okay back to work!!
<3
JQ

3 comments:

Mouse Droppings Folk Art said...

OK I am coveting those crocheted chokers...when & where is the guild sale...would love to go & do some shopping...could you post the date place & time...cheers, Susan

Anita said...

Holy freaking Hannah! I'm in love! All your projects are just AMAZING. I took up needle punch last year and have wanted to move on to rugs but just haven't gotten there yet. And your loom work...!!! *le sigh* I am dying to learn to weave. I have a table loom that I've got my eye on, but no space on a table to put it. :D The chokers are just too much though, they totally have a steampunk feel to them that I am completely in love with. Lusting!
Lovely work my dear, just lovely!

JQ said...

Oh thank you both! I'm super SUPER excited about them! I hope I'll have enough done!

Susan: I'll post the poster PDF here on my blog as soon as I get it in my e-mail. I was going to come to Rug hooking this Tuesday night with the information and the necklaces to show off too :P But I won't be there until between 730 and 8 if I can go.

Anita: Thank you! I totally adore my inkle looms. My pops made them for me and they provide me with a quick and fun way to use up bits of yarn and experiment with colour!