Here's my Dimensions 2011 Tapestry update:
The cartoon was created by Rorschach technique using cream colored craft paint straight from the bottle. I then outlined the shapes in pencil.
This first photos is from day two, day one being the dragging up of loom and re-threading it etc. I spent a lot of time deciding on how-and with what-I was going to weave the project. I find tapestry to be highly pre-meditative, considering that once you commit to a colour scheme it is very difficult to change it later. So after much sitting and thinking and winding butterflies of yarn and comparing them side by side I discarded all the coloured yarns, opting for a dark oatmeal wool yarn (still greasy) for the background and some cream colored Clea crochet thread and white silk thrums for the Rorschach pattern.
I decided I would put all my energy into incorporating elaborate textures and patterns with the shiny silk. The effect is somewhat lacy and fossil-like. I like the bone reference A LOT.
I'm not going to share all the details of where I am taking this. I think it will be fun to share it with you as it progresses. Besides the work has already taken on a life of it's own; It's evolving into something completely different from what I had originally intended. here are a few more detail shots of the end of day 3.
And in other news I participated in a wonderful wet felting workshop with my fellow guild members last weekend. We made slippers and mine are sized to hopefully fit my little boy sometime next year. I can always felt them down to fit a bit better later. Here they are!
I spun a bunch of yarn just after Christmas. The green is a light and fluffy merino that's had a stretching process to make the fibres really silky. I spun that on my drop spindle (2 ply) and the navy is to go with it. 225 grams done on my wheel in more of a worsted method(also 2 ply).
Okay that was a lot of photos again! Hope you enjoyed them.
I hope to be back again soon with another progress update and some inkle bracelets with antique buttons.